New technologies like artificial intelligence and machine learning could help cut delays and disruptions across the UK’s infrastructure network.
The benefits of enabling new technologies through better infrastructure data could include:
- Cutting the numbers of delays and disruptions to train journeys by better planning maintenance and making repairs more quickly through the use of sensor networks and the application of machine learning
- Reducing the numbers of traffic jams on the roads by using smart traffic lights and other systems;
- Responding to extreme weather events like snowstorms and floods in a more coordinated way
- Faster identification of leaks in the water network through data from smart water meters
- Increasing competition between mobile and broadband operators by sharing data on signal and connection speeds – helping to end intermittent services
The National Infrastructure Commission’s report examines the opportunities that these new innovations present – and makes recommendations to increase open data sharing to make the most of them.
This resource is hosted on an external website.Read the full resource
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.